28 DAYS: ADVENTURES FOR THE SOUL.
What a full circle moment.
I arrived back in snowy Seoul on Sunday afternoon with the Sunday blues but the last stretch of the journey home has given me time to reflect on my adventures for the soul.
At the beginning of this four week journey, I only had one intention in mind:
to search for the places where the earth beneath my feet and the stars overhead make my heart whole again and again.
Indeed, my dream became a reality.
In this final soulful write-up you’ll find the lessons I learned during my 28 days of adventures for the soul.
But first, let me remind you briefly of the journey it took to learn these lessons.
We started in Seoul, South Korea from where we traveled to Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam. Here we spent Lunar New Year and saw two more colourful cities: Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
Next, was seven days in magical Cambodia. Temple-rich Phnom Penh, beachy Sihanoukville and the glorious Angkor Wat in Siem Reap.
Last stop: Thailand. Reunited with my mum. City lights in Bangkok and paradise in Phuket.
My hope is that you’ll be able to take something from these lessons, even if it’s just a glimmer of your true authentic dreams.
-28 LIFE LESSONS FROM A SOUL SEARCHER-
- Home is where the heart is. Really.
- You are not defined by your spiritual beliefs/ the religion you choose. What defines you is the way you make people feel and inflate their souls because of your presence.
- Your body is the only place you have to live. Take care of it.
- Respect ancient teachings, ancient property and your ancestors.
- A smile goes a very long way. (Especially at Immigration.)
- Your beliefs should manifest in your actions, not in the statues you worship.
- Every human being walking the earth has the same desires: to love, to be happy and to be accepted.
- Never ever ever judge another living being. You don’t know where they came from or when they’re going.
- What you put out there is what you get back.
- Every country you go to has faced hardship and is trying their best to rise up above it. Respect it’s efforts to accommodate you.
- Your power lies not in how rich you are but in how resourceful you are.
- When your hotel plays crazy Vietnamese pop music at 06:30am breakfast- don’t complain, just dance!
- Use the struggles from your past to empower your present and future.
- Go out there and learn about religions different than yours. Exploring other spiritual practices affirms your beliefs, values and compassion for humankind.
- Whatever you want, go for it now! Don’t let anything stand in your way! Just start!
- History can never be destroyed or even changed, but unfortunately it’s easily forgotten. It is up to you to go out there and learn about it because it gives you perspective about life.
- Wherever you go or wherever you live, family always comes first (this one’s for you, mom!)
- You don’t have to agree with others’ ideals. Always respect it.
- Kindness doesn’t cost a cent.
- Rest and non-doing is so, so important.
- There will be difficult days and there will be easy days. There will be days that are both difficult and easy. What’s important is how you deal with it.
- Sometimes it’s okay to rush through things faster than you’d like. There are a million awe-inspiring things to do and a gazillion opportunities out there. Just do it.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, accept it.
- Taking photographs of world heritage sites means nothing if you’re not experiencing it from deep within.
- Forgive easily and without regret.
- What’s important is the journey, not the destination.
- If the smoothie you ordered is not what you expected, say “thank you but no thank you”. Life’s too short for tasteless food.
- Miracles are everywhere. It’s just a matter of how you look at life.
I’d love to hear which of these life lessons stood out for you. Let me know in the comments below!
Although this journey has ended, I’m excited for what’s ahead. A special shout-out deserves to go to my magical partner Jochemus and my radiant mama Nelia for making this journey extra special!
A million thank you’s to our awesome travel agency IndochinaTour.com who created the tour of a lifetime! Jeremiah and Theary, you rock!
Thanks to those of you who have followed my adventures so faithfully! Remember to do whatever it takes to set your soul on fire!